Cauliflower doesn’t have to be boring and bland. With a few tweaks, you can transform it into a warm and cosy comfort food that can brighten up any meal. Whether you serve it with roast beef, chicken, or fish or enjoy it on its own, we’re sure you and the kids will love the creamy, cheesy flavour. And with our quick and easy cauliflower cheese recipe, you can bake this delicious dish in no time!
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, broken into florets
- Olive oil
- 50 gm melted butter
- 50 gm plain flour
- 2 ¾ cup milk
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 cup tasty cheese, grated
- 1 cup parmesan, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- Black pepper, freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- Flat-leaved parsley, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
- Add cauliflower to a large rectangular baking dish.
- Drizzle generously with the oil and sprinkle a healthy amount of flaky sea salt and cracked black pepper.
- Bake cauliflower for 25-30 minutes or until soft and browning at the edges.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter on low heat, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon, until lightly browned.
- Add the flour and mix well to form a smooth paste. Cook over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring continuously. Add a drizzle of oil if the mixture becomes too thick.
- Add a pinch of grated nutmeg.
- Add 1 cup of milk, stirring constantly until it’s well-mixed, then continue to gradually add the milk until all the milk is incorporated. Scrape the bottom of the pot to prevent burning.
- Lower the heat to low and add mustard, then parmesan and tasty cheese in small batches. Add about a handful at a time so your white sauce doesn’t split.
- Once cooked, remove the cauliflower from the oven and increase the heat to 250°C.
- Pour the sauce over the cauliflower.
- Season well with salt and pepper and return to the oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Garnish with the parsley.
Why does my cauliflower cheese sauce go watery?
Ended up with a watery sauce? Even if your sauce was thick before baking, prolonged cooking can lead to a watery consistency due to the cauliflower’s moisture content. To prevent this, we recommend you roast the dish for no longer than 20-25 minutes. If the cauliflower isn’t sufficiently browned on top within this timeframe, remove it from the oven and place it under the grill for 1-2 minutes.
What goes well with cauliflower cheese?
Cauliflower cheese makes a delightful accompaniment to ham or bacon. It also pairs wonderfully with a variety of vegetables, such as broccoli, asparagus and mushrooms. For those seeking a more substantial meal, consider serving it alongside steak, chicken or fish.
Can you make cauliflower cheese in advance?
Cauliflower cheese can be safely stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, although this easy recipe is most delectable when served piping hot, straight from the oven. When you’re ready to cook or reheat your cauliflower cheese dish, place it in the oven to bake at 200°C until the cheese sauce starts to bubble and turn golden brown.